Although most people are not apt to stretch daily, it is common knowledge that stretching is healthy and beneficial for both muscle recovery and mental wellness.
For those of us that do stretch those muscles out every day, we can attest to how much more loose and active our bodies feel after a good long stretch.
However, next time grab a partner to help you get out those aches and pains! Partner stretching has been proven to help recovery in a variety of ways, such as:
- Improved flexibility (increases your range of motion)
- Assists in correct posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position
- Potential to decrease injury by preparing muscles for work before activity
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to muscles, thereby possibly reducing muscle soreness
- Even a short amount of time (10 to 15 minutes) of stretching can calm the mind, provide a mental break and give your body a chance to recharge
When stretching with a partner, remember that communication is key; it is easy to hyperextend a muscle by pushing it too hard. A pulled muscle will only lead to more recovery, and less time in the weight room making those gains.
Have at it! Grab a partner, look at the photographs below, and stretch those shoulders out! We spend too much time slumping around anyway.
3 GREAT PARTNER STRETCHES FOR BACK AND SHOULDER